Friday, July 30, 2010

Triumphs and Tragedies

Here we are again and it's Friday.  I don't know where the time is going lately.  Feels like I haven't accomplished much of anything.  Especially after seeing what that husband of mine has been up to.  Whether I get anything done or not the garden moves on of its own accord.  So let's take a look at this week's Triumphs and Tragedies.

Tragedy
Despite realizing that the white malva needed to be staked after a heavy rain two weeks ago you would have thought that I would immediately stake my Malva moschata 'Rosea' when the winds went up to 50km an hour this week.
Nope.  I'm kinda lazy that way.  Instead the malva fell over and I had to prop them back up with this wine rack thing (which incidentally isn't doing such a great job).  The stems aren't broken though so I'm still getting some lovely blooms to look at.
I must look for some proper stakes at the garden centre as the malva was not the only victim.
My lovely Rudbeckia laciniata 'Golden Glow' snapped right in two.  And it was just about to bloom too.  Luckily a small shoot went unscathed so the plant will survive but now I'll have to wait until next year for flowers.


Triumph
I worried like crazy over my tomato plants this past spring.  At times they were yellow and limp and I worried for their health.  Well I decided to give them a shot of fertilizer and look at them now.
Those are some tomatoes!  I'm very excited to see lots of tomatoes coming along and lots more flowers just waiting to turn into tomatoes.  And after that they will turn into fresh tomato soup, yum.

4 comments:

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

I had to laugh when I saw the wine rack! We got one for our wedding and never did find a good use for it - probably because we only ever have two bottles of wine around at time. Now I know - use it in the garden! ;-)

Carolyn ♥ said...

Winds... they are my garden's bane. But we just pick up and keep going. That's what it's all about.

Marguerite said...

Ms.S - The wine rack was a funny purchase. I was at the local flea market and a guy had them for 50 cents. He didn't even know what they were! The pieces to hold the the two sides together had been lost. I thought of using them for climbing plants, nasturtium, etc. They were the only thing sitting in the garage when I went to look for stakes!

Meredehuit - I'm used to winter wind but PEI has wind all year round. I'm going to have to learn a bit more about staking plants I can see.

Laura said...

Boy those sure are nice looking tomatoes! Too bad about the wine/trellis, they look cool!